Home – Existing entrepreneurship and existing GAP
“The structure of our thinking is determined in our youth by the ideas which we meet at that time or by getting into contact with strong personalities from whom we learn” – Warner Heisenberg
The aforementioned is as valid for a thought as is for a business as all businesses have their roots in a mere plan. Some of the best ideas and products do not see the light of the day because their makers are apt to develop them but inept at promoting them. Companies often do not fall apart because they do not offer a service that is much needed but they are unable to reach their desired audience.
This a GAP that is most felt by any innovator or entrepreneur during the early days of development and this is the widest GAP that exist in the market. Making the entrepreneurs meet the right investor for seed fund, doing market research on right lines, developing product on user’s need based and finally reaching the paying customers, all the activities require mentorship. Even more than money, its the right direction that decides the fate of an entrepreneur/innovator/inventor/businesses
An administrator, teacher and trainer, Dr.Gopinath has 29 years of teaching, research,and administrative experience. PhD (Computer Aided Design) from Andhra University, Visakhapatnam. MBA(Education Management) from KSBM, Mumbai. He started his career as an Associate Lecturer in Govt. Polytechnic, Zaheerabad. Before taking up administrative positions at MITS, Rayagada, JITM Paralakhemundi, Odisha as Principal, he worked with GITAM University, Visakhapatnam for 13 years. He was instrumental in NBA accreditation for all the departments of JITM, Odisha and Chaitanya Engineering College, Visakhapatnam. For the past 29 years he is dealing with courses like Engineering Graphics, Machine Design, CAD, ICAD, CADM, Information Technology and CIM. He also works with Mechanical Engineering Design and Analysis software like CATIA and ANSYS.
He organized several International and National Conferences, Workshops & Seminars. He conducted two AICTE sponsored Staff Development Programs on CAD/CAM. He has published research papers in 13 International Journals, 18 International Conferences and 19 National Conferences/Seminars so far on topics mainly 3D solid modeling, CAD/CAE and Reverse Engineering. On these topics he has delivered several keynote lectures in prestigious institutions like SMIT Gangtok, VIT University Vellore, BIT Mesra Ranchi, CTTC Bhubaneswar, GMRIT Rajam, BIT Bangalore, HITC Jabalpur, NIT Agartala and QUT, Brisbane, Australia, BRAC University, Dhaka, Bangladesh and Bangkok. He reviewed two PhD theses. He is a life member of various professional bodies like ASME, SAE, ISTE, Institution of Engineers (India), HKSME, Condition Monitoring Society of India, Indian Red Cross etc.
1. Baba Institute of Technology and Sciences, Visakhapatnam, AP Principal: 2011-12 & 2016- 2020 (5 Years)
2.Alliance University, Bengaluru, Karnataka Professor: 2014-16 (2 years)
3.Gandhi Institute of Excellent Technocrats, Bhubaneswar, Odisha Principal: 2012-14 (1.5 Years)
4. Chaitanya Engineering College, Visakhapatnam, AP Principal: 2009-11 (2.5 Years)
5. Jagannadh Institute for Technology and Management, Paralakhemundi, Odisha Principal: 2007-09 (2.5 Years)
6. Majhighariani Institute of Technology and Science, Rayagada, Odisha Principal: 2005-07 (1.5 Years)
7. GITAM University, Visakhapatnam, AP Asso. Professor: 1992-2005 (13 years)
8. SS Govt. Polytechnic, Zaheerabad, Telangana Asso. Lecturer: 1991-92 (1.5 years)
- Merit of Excellence Award by Institution of Engineers(India) – 2006
- Dewang Mehta National Education Award – 2017
- 50 Most Influential Principals of India (Education) by World Education Congress – 2018
- Best Director Award by ‘Global Education and Corporate Leadership’ – 2018
- Distinguished Leader in Engineering by ‘Venus International Foundation’ – 2019
- Global Education Leader by ‘World Education Congress’ – 2019
- ‘Analysis of Bearing Support System of a Steam Turbine: A Solid Modeling Approach' (ISBN: 9783844310856)
- ‘Reverse Engineering in Manufacturing: Methodology Case Studies and Applications’ (ISBN: 9783844318791)
- ‘Trends in CAD/CAM: To Capture Global Markets’ (ISBN: 9783844325379)
- Dr.C.V.Gopinath is passionate about higher education leadership and became principal at a young age of 38.
- Instrumental in NBA accreditation of JITM (Now Centurion University), Odisha and Chaitanya Engineering College, Visakhapatnam, A.P.
- Institution builder, expert in branding the institutes to top ranking institutes (JITM, CEC, BITS)
- Pan India exposure (Worked in four states, visited several States/Institutes to learn new concepts)
- Trained at internationally acclaimed institutes like Deloitte leadership Center in India, Academic Staff College of India, Engineering Staff College of India and Dale Carnegie Certified Academic Leadership Program by Wipro.
- Organized several International and National Conferences, Workshops, Seminars and Webinars. He published research papers in International/National Journals/Conferences.
- Published books, conducted programs, delivered lectures in various National and International forums.
- Visiting Professor, University of Perpetual Help System, DALTA, Calamba Campus, Philippines
- Life member of ASME, SAE, ISTE, Institution of Engineers (India), HKSME, etc.
- Member of several International Committees of Conferences/Journals
- Life Member of St. John Ambulance (Voluntary regular blood donor)
He has been one of the Toppers throughout his academic career. PUC 11th Ranker, in entire Andhra University. Did B.E and M.E First Class Distinction with First Rank from Andhra University. ALL Branches 1st Year B.E. Topper with CGPA of 10/10 – Unbroken Record till Today. Did his Ph.D in IIT Kharagphur.
- Professor of Electronics and Communication Engineering for 34 years in Andhra University
- At present he is Honorary Distinguished Professor in Andhra University.
- Taught B.Techs and M.Techs of IIT Kharagphur during 1984-87.
- Obtained Highest Faculty Performance Index of 99.37% – Unbroken Record till Today
- Delivered several research talks in the University of Paderborn and also in the University Karlsruhe, Germany in 1994 as Visiting Professor.
- Head of the Department, ECE, AU College of Engineering (A), Andhra University during 1992-95.
- Chairman Board of Studies in ECE, AU for 6 years.
- Chairman Board of Studies in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, AU for 6 years.
- Coordinator, Center for Bio-Medical Engineering, AU for 10 years.
- Coordinator, Center for EMI/EMC, AU for 10 years.
- Dean faculty of Engineering in 2011.
- Vice-Principal, AU College of Engineering (A) in 2011.
- Dean R&D for 3 years.
- Principal, AU College of Engineering (A) during 2011-13.
- Vice-Chancellor of Andhra University for 3 years during 2013-16.
- In-Charge Vice-Chancellor of Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University in 2015.
- Convener of ICET 2010 and ICET 2011.
- Chairman of ICET for 3 years.
- Member of Senate, AU for the last 9 years.
- Vice-Chairman IETE, Visakhapatnam Center for 4 years
- Chairman IETE, Visakhapatnam Center for 4 years
- Chairman Society of EMC Engineers, Visakhapatnam Chapter for 20 years
- Joint Secretary Society of EMC Engineers, Bangalore
- AU College of Engineering (A) has become Best Government Engineering College by Star News in 2011 and 2012.
- Under his Vice-Chancellorship AU got 3.6/4 in NAAC with „A‟ Grade – Second Highest among State Universities in India.
- AU became Best University in Andhra Pradesh with „A‟ Grade given by AP Govt.
- AU became Best University in NSS in India. Received One Lakh Cash Prize with a trophy from Hon‟ble President of INDIA in Rashtrapati Bhavan in 2014
- AU became Best University in Research in India. Adjudged by Gujarat Technical University
- AU became Best University in India in Employability through Skill Development in 2015 during World Education Summit.
- AU appeared in International Ranking between the range of 600-800 in the World
- Chairman of Several NAAC committees
- Convener of Several AICTE Committees over the last 20 years
- Member of Several NBA Expert Committees over the last 20 years
- Technical Expert for the Selection of Japanese Fellowships for 3 years.
- Published about 435 technical papers in National/International Journals and proceedings.
- Guided 55 Ph.D.s.
- Guided more than 250 M.E theses.
- Convener, AU Research Forum for 3 years
- Chief Convener, AU Research Forum for 3 years
- Successfully completed several R&D projects supported by DRDO, MHRD, AICTE, etc.
- Chaired Several Technical Sessions in International Conferences, Conducted by MIT-USA, China, Czech Republic, Germany and India
- Conducted 25 National and International Conferences as Chairman/Convener.
- Recipient of “The State Best Teacher Award‟ from Sri N. Chandra Babu Naidu, Hon‟ble Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh in 1999.
- “The Best Research Award‟ from His Excellency Sri Krishan Kant, Hon‟ble Governor of Andhra Pradesh in 1994.
- “National IETE Award‟ for his best Research guidance in India from Hon‟ble Union Minister for heavy industries Santosh Mohan Dev, Govt. of India, New Delhi in 2005.
- “Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan Award” for the Best Academician of the year 2007.
- The National EMC Engineer of the Year Award, 2008.
- “Eminent Electronic and Communication Engineer” 2012 from Institution of Engineers (India)
- “National Award for Teaching Excellence” by Indus Foundation during Indo-American Education Summit in Hyderabad in 2014.
- “Rashtriya Vikas Shiromani Award” in the field of education by Delhi Telugu Academy in 2013.
- “Mother Teresa International Award” from Sri Justice Shyamal Sen, Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court and Former Governor of West Bengal on January 2014.
- “ICON in Education Award” by her Excellency, Margeret Alva, Governor of Rajastan in Jodhpur on February 2014.
- “Udyoga Ratan Award” by Delhi Telugu Academy in 2014.
- Addressed 12,000 leaders in Indian Student Parliament in Pune on the invitation from Sri T.N. Seshan, former Chief Election Commissioner in January 2014.
- Conferred with Colonel Rank by Director, General of NCC, Ministry of Defense, Govt. of India in Delhi in 2014.
- Listed in the Book “Who is Who in the World‟ published by Marquis, USA.
- “National Service Scheme Best University Excellence Award” from the President of India, New Delhi
- Appointed as “Brand Ambassador for Swachch Visakha” by Sri M. Venkaiah Naidu, Hon‟ble Union Minister for Rural and Urban Development, Govt. of India
- Appointed as “Brand Ambassador for Times of India”
- Honored with “Best Citizen Award” by Visakha Samacharam Daily in 2015.
- “Lifetime Achievement Award – 2015 for his outstanding performance and lasting contribution to Academic and Research in India” from Vietnam National University, Vietnam.
- “National Award for Research Excellence” by Indus Foundation during Indo-American Education Summit 2016.
- Received a letter of Higher Appreciation from Hon‟ble Chief Minister Nara Chandrababu Naidu for taking Andhra University to International Ranking.
- Received “Outstanding Academician of India” by Journalist Magazine-2017.
- Recipient of Rabindranath Tagore Memorial award from Governor of West Bengal for his outstanding contribution in education, in Kolkata, February 2020.
- “News Maker of 2013” by Yo! Vizag Monthly Magazine
- “Champion of Education” by RED Magazine (Monthly)
- “Chaduvulo, Vyakthithwam lo Raraju” by Andhra Jyothi
- “Prapamcha Prakhyatha Acharya Sikhamani” by Right News
- “Recordula Raraju” by Eenadu Daily News Paper
- “Upakulapathi – Vidya Dalapathi” by Vaartha Daily News Paper
- “Rajaina Samanyude” by Leader Daily News Paper
- “Chaduvula Raraju” by Vaarta Daily News Paper
- “Best Citizen” by Visakhasamacharam Daily News Paper
- Delivered several talks in All India Radio and Private FM stations
- Participated with invitation in several TV Shows
- Authored 11 Text Books
- “Antennas and Wave Propagation”, Pearson Education (Singapore).
- “Electromagnetic Field Theory and Transmission Lines”, Pearson Education Publishers (Singapore)
- “Electronic Devices and Circuits” IK International Publishers, New Delhi.
- “Microwave Engineering”, IK International Publishers, New Delhi.
- “Radar Engineering and Navigational Aids”, IK International Publishers, New Delhi.
- Electromagnetic Field Theory for AU SDE, 2007 (jointly authored).
- Electronics- I Laboratory textbook for AU SDE, 2007(jointly authored).
- Antennas and Wave Propagation for AU SDE (jointly authored).
- Microwave Engineering for AU SDE (jointly authored).
- Radar Engineering for AU SDE (jointly authored).
- Microwave Communication Laboratory Textbook for AU SDE (jointly authored).
- Fellow of DAAD (Germany)
- Life Fellow of Institution of Electronics and Communication Engineers
- Life Fellow of Institution of Engineers
- Life Fellow of Society of EMC Engineers
- Life Fellow of Marine Engineers
- Life Senior Member of Computer Society of India
- Life Member of Indian Society of Technical Education
- Senior Member of IEEE, USA
- Honorary Fellow of AP Academy of Sciences
- Honorary Fellow of Chemical Engineers Association of India
- Life member of Society of Biomedical Engineering
- Life member of Instrument Society of India
- He represented Andhra University in weight lifting.
- He was “Mr. Andhra University College of Engineering”
- He was Andhra University Gold Medalist in 10Km, 5Km running.
- He was a Trained Boxer.
- He was a Gold Medalist in Shot Put in IIT Kharagpur
- He was a Gold Medalist in Shot Put in Visakhapatnam District, in Veterans
Padmashree Dr DP Pattanayak ia a Linguist, Literateur, Educationist, and Activist DP Pattanayak studied Odia Language, Literature and Culture, Linguistics, Anthropology, Law, three year Diploma in French and took his PhD from Cornell in 1961, with Linguistics Major, Anthropology and Applied Linguistics as Minor. He wrote his thesis on comparative reconstruction of Oriya, Assamese, Bengali and Hindi, the first of its kind in Indo-Aryan studies.Born and brought up in a Gandhian family in the smallest princely state of India. He had diverse experience in his childhood, as his father was externed from the state for working with Gandhi. He spent first childhood years at Brahmapur, South Odisha, came back to Tigiria where he completed elementary education, spent two years each at Dhenkanal and Athagarh and completed matriculation in 1946. He completed graduation at Utkal Christian College, Cuttack, by establishing a record in the University by being awarded the Gold Medal for securing highest marks among BA Hons and MA students. He completed post graduation from Ravenshaw College in 1952. But he was detained for one year for leading a student movement. He passed in 1953 from the Utkal University and secured the University Gold Medal by securing the highest marks.
- Jawaharlal Literacy Award
- Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowship
- Assam Sahitya Sabha Sammana
- Asiatic Society (Established 1784)
- Award of Suniti Kumar Chatterjee Memorial Lectureship
- Karnataka 8th Kala Mela
- Himachal Pradesh Rajya Sammana
- Srestha Kannadiga Sammana
- Invitation as a distinguished Resource Person of the International Mother Language Institute, Bangladesh
- Times of India Life Time Achievement Award
- Nakshatra TV Life Time Achievement Award
- Kalinga Sahitya Sammana
- Rourkela Steel Plant Sammana
- Rashtriya Kishan Paribar Sahitya Bhaskar Sammana
- Ruci Bharat Gaurab Sammana
- Sarala Sahitya Sammana
- Mansingh Sammana
- Sreedhar Das Sammana
- Prananath Rover Ranger Sammana
- The Intellects
- Delhi Sammana
- Odia Bhasha Pratisthan
- Korei Bhasha Mahotsaba Sammana
- Damodara Pattanayak Smruti Sammana
- Udraja Ratna Award
- Bhasha Award, Odisha
- BHASHA (Baroda), New Delhi
- Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee Sammana
- Biju Patnaik Janma Satabarshiki Sammana
D. Narsimha Rao has come to Orissa in the year 1989 from IIM Kolkatta campus to work in the drought prone district of Kalahandi. As a student he visited the district to understand the dynamics of drought. Kalahandi hit the national headlines during that time due to the child selling episodes by the drought stricken. He has joined there as a Young Professional, a scheme started by the Rajiv Gandhi government to attract young professionals to work in the development sector.
Since then, he has worked in length and breadth of Orissa with the government, NGOs like Gram Vikas and institutions like XIM Bhubaneswar. He has left XIMB in 2005, to co-found the Centurion Group of Institutes, which have their base in the naxal infested South Orissa region
Prof Narasimha Rao has worked across the core sector in areas of rural development and upliftment. He has been a social advisor on “Project Water” funded by the Indo – Canadian Water Facility.
He has also been the social advisor for the study on establishing baseline for the measurement of socio-economic impact of the power sector reforms in Orissa.
He has been the Project Leader for the project on Mapping Food insecurity areas and identifying families at risk of starvation. (The project was funded by Hunger Foundation and the client was OSDMA, Government of Orissa).
Prof Rao has been the local team leader for the Institutional Analysis and Design study for the “Western Orissa Rural Livelihoods Project” funded by DFID. During the span of 4 years from 1989-1993, he has managed many development projects aimed at improving the incomes of tribals and other poor people in some of the most backward districts of Orissa.
Prof. Rao has extensive experience in monitoring and evaluation of development sector projects. He was the head of CENDERET, XIMB for 3 years. CENDERET was a resource support institution which at one time used to channelise development funds from 8 international NGOs for projects in Orissa.
Prof. Rao has done consultancy/ worked for the DFID, USAID, World Bank, BfW, CORDAID, ICEF and many other donor funded projects. He has also consulted for many energy services companies such as BSES, Reliance Energy, APTransco, KPTCL and NPCL.
He has also provided his expertise for mining companies like BHP, Australia, Continental Resources, CANADA.
Prof. Rao has played a major role in coordinating the relief and rehabilitation support after the Super Cyclone in Orissa.
He was one of the lead advisors for the micro-privatisation initiative in the power sector in Orissa (partly funded by DFID and partly by BSES), Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and NOIDA. The DFID funded initiative was in the poverty stricken areas of the KBK region. It introduces and works on the concept of community participation in public service delivery mechanism, emanating from the 73rd / 74th Constitution Amendments which was empowering Village Panchayats.
Prof. Rao has worked extensively in the areas of access to energy, water and energy nexus, energy efficiency measures, DSM and other demand side issues in rural power supply. He has experience of promoting non grid solutions especially using solar power.
Prof Rao was well versed in the local language (Telegu, Oriya) which was an important aspect when dealing with Village Panchayats at the local level.
In his present position, he was a co-promoter of the Centurion Group of Institutes which has promoted a host of management and technical institutions in Orissa.
Names of college/Institution, Dates attended
Indian Institute of Management Kolkatta, India, 1987-1989
Osmania University, Hyderabad, India 1983-1987
Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) (IIM – Kolkatta)
Bachelor of Engineering (Osmania University)
CO-PROMOTER OF CENTURION GROUP OF INSTITUTES;
The group believes in using educational institutions as a local social and economic change hub. The institutes engage with the community with a focus on bringing lasting change in the area of social as well as economic development.
The group is pioneering a unique large scale skill building venture for school drop outs in naxal infested districts of Orissa. The group has promoted a host of special purpose vehicles aimed at skill building, providing escorting services, rural market access services as well as micro finance ventures.
Innovation was the key to all the interventions and the group believes in finding innovative solutions to difficult problems.
Coordinated CENDERET, the development extension wing of XIMB for 3 years
CENDERET works in most of the districts of Orissa in Partnership with NGOs and Panchayat representatives. It mainly concentrates on capacity building. Some of the areas of intervention have been Micro Planning, Enterprise promotion, Self Help groups’ promotion, Joint forest Management interventions with focus on community participation.
He coordinated many national and international research as well as consultancy assignments.
He developed a five stage “empowerment measurement frame work” which was adopted by the NGOs and Mission Shakti of government of Orissa.
Worked with Gram Vikas, a leading NGO for four years in two of the most remote tribal regions of Orissa
Micro – Privatization project in rural power distribution
Prof was one of the Project Directors on this assignment which was implemented in 4500 villages in Orissa (in some of the most under developed areas of the State) and 4500 panchayats of Karnataka. He coined the term “Gram Vidyut Pratinidhi” and along with other colleagues developed the spade work for the electricity franchising policy in India. The model was now incorporated into the national rural electrification policy
The project aims at introduction of performance contracts at the 11 kV feeder level for revenue cycle activity management. The private entrepreneurs will be helped by the Village Electricity Committees in managing the activities at the village level. The project starts with a social intervention and ends in drawing up performance contracts for revenue cycle management at the feeder level.
Typically the intervention for any particular feeder takes about 12 months for implementation. In Karnataka, the project was exploring the arrangements in IP set dominated sections.
It was also exploring the water-energy nexus in these areas. The intervention was partly funded by the electricity utilities and partly by DFID.
Other relevant experience
Joined as a young professional in DRDA, Kalahandi from IIM Kolkatta campus in the year 1989
This was a special initiative of the Government of India to improve project management capabilities of the District Rural Development Agencies. Kalahandi hit the national headlines due to the starvation deaths and child selling cases in 1987. The job mandate included developing interventions that would help improve the incomes of poor people in socially deprived conditions and low market development environment.
Higher Education Link Coordinator for 3 years for the academic link between university of Wales, Bangor, UK and XIMB.
The link’s objective was to promote joint research in the area of self-recording systems for improving productivity in the Indian farming system. The link resulted in a dissemination workshop on the subject.
Names of employing Organization & Title Held
Faculty & coordinator, Xavier Institute of Management, 1996 to 2005
British Chevening Scholar, Small Business Center, Durham Business School, University of Durham, UK, 1995 to 1996
Program manager, Gram Vikas Berhampur, India, 1991 to 1993
Addl. Director (Projects), DRDA, Kalahandi, India, 1989 to 1991
Attended a 3 month course in University of Durham, UK on Building enterprise – 1995
Attended a 9 month course in University of Durham, UK on business incubators – 1995
Attended an 8 week course organized by DSE, Berlin Germany on ZOPP (project planning and management) – 1998
Attended training organized by CORDAID, Netherlands in Bangkok on monitoring and evaluation of projects – 2001
Dr. Mishra in his endeavor to explore entrepreneurial capability, as a Director of Consulting Firm along with three professors had taken over the management of one Engineering College in 2005. The engineering college (Jagannath Institute for Technology & Management (JITM), Paralakhemundi) located in a remote rural area of the poorest district of Orissa, is All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) approved. At that time, it had seven academic departments and 420 seats, and was faced with reduced intake, poor academic performance and placement problems. Dr. Mishra has taken it as a mission of life and real time personal social responsibility to turn around this college and place it at a national level through qualitative improvement in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Dr Mishra’s career started in the corporate sector, where he has worked for over 18 years in various positions, the most noteworthy of them being in the Marketing Department at Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd., India (a fortune 500 MNC), The Industrial Development Corporation of Orissa Limited, India and at Kinhill Engineers Pvt. Ltd., Melbourne, Australia. The responsibilities included branding, strategy, pricing, quality control, CSR issues and finally Industrial Relation problems. This provided an analytical framework and expertise to comprehend the existing problems and issues and anticipate the future threats.